A fire crew from Barnstaple were called to a property on Summerland Street in Barnstaple around 12.30pm today after receiving reports of a fire alarm sounding at the address.
On arrival fire fighters discovered a small fire in a kitchen on the third floor of the property.
Barnstaple fire fighter John Lilley said: "An elderly woman who was living alone had burnt her duck legs in the oven.
"The fat had caught fire and the kitchen was full of smoke.
"We removed the grill pan from the oven and ventilated the property.
"The duck legs looked pretty well done once we'd got them out."
No one was injured.