Fire crews from Holsworthy, Hartland and Torrington were called to a shed fire at Cleverdon Farm in Bradworthy near Holsworthy around 2.20pm yesterday.
On arrival crews found a brick shed approximately 4m by 2.5m on fire.
Incident manager Steve Barfe said: “The owner had started putting out the fire with some garden hose pipes and we basically ensured the fire was completely out.
“The shed was adjoining a large barn so we also checked the cavity in between the two walls with a thermal imaging camera to see if there were any hot spots.
“The shed contained several storage boxes and items of low value which were completely destroyed by the fire. The shed was about 25 per cent damaged by heat and smoke.”
Mr Barfe said the cause of the fire was accidental.
He said: “The farmer’s wife had put some hot coals from a fire in a metal bucket outside the house.
“The farmer hadn’t realised there were hot coals in the bucket and put them in the shed.
“It was good that they managed to control the fire with their own hose pipes but they did the right thing by calling the fire service.
“Even if you think a fire is out there might be hot spots you can’t see which could reignite later on. It’s better to be safe than sorry.”