Login Register

Young Torrington side get long-awaited win in North Devon League

By North Devon Journal  |  Posted: January 10, 2013

Comments (0)

Torrington 2 Barnstaple AAC 1: Torrie's young team are looking up after ending their long wait for a second win of the season.

Things were rosy when they started with a 5-3 victory over Equalizers but they did not win again – until Saturday.

After taking the lead with an own goal, they went 2-0 up with a brave finish from Dan Baugh, who collided with the post as he scored.

Manager Barry Shambrook praised his players for their work ethic in ending a run of 13 winless matches. He said: "I can't ask any more. A lot of them are very good individuals but they have not produced it as a team. It was a great team effort on Saturday.Every single one worked hard, chased and hassled."

The Ammies only had a late strike from Craig Horrell and manager Jeremy Hill slammed his players for "group apathy".

Sporting Barum 2 Clovelly 4: Clovelly showed no signs of rustiness after Christmas when Ian Chan (two) and Sam Synnott fired them 3-0 ahead.

Sporting stayed in touch through Richard Nott, with a penalty and a deflected shot, but Simon Beeby scored a free kick for the visitors.

Torridgeside 0 Barnstaple FC 2: An early strike from Stuart McKinnon gave Barnstaple a fine start and they sealed a hard-earned win with a goal from Tom Nash midway through the second half.

Anchor Chiefs 6 Northam Lions 1: Joe Barker scored his first hat-trick for Anchor Chiefs to have the match virtually sewn up before half time.

Two headers from Barker, both from crosses by Tom Phipps, put the Chiefs in control and Jesse Curtis made it 3-0 with a sweet strike.

Northam pulled one back with a follow-up from Steve Robinson after Mark Tattersall saved the initial penalty.

Darren Reeks added Anchor's fifth before limping off injured and Matt Cloak went forward to complete the scoring.

Woolacombe and Mortehoe 4 Equalizers 3: Chay Isaac scored twice and Adam Baxter got the other goal as Woolacombe raced to a 3-0 lead by half time.

They appeared to be cruising when defender Marc Churchill swept the fourth goal into the bottom corner.

But Equalizers rallied with Damian Green (two) and Mathew Mitchell scoring in the last 15 minutes to set up an uncomfortable finish.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters