Login Register

Witheridge manager Mike Taylor resigns

By North Devon Journal  |  Posted: October 25, 2012

Comments (0)

CARETAKER managers Chris Vinnicombe and Shane Kallaway led Witheridge into Tuesday night's clash with Launceston following the shock resignation of Mike Taylor.

The manager informed club secretary Chris Cole of his decision to quit by text on Sunday evening, 24 hours after overseeing a 4-0 defeat at Elburton Villa in the Throgmorton Cup.

In a statement on the club website, Witheridge said Taylor's reason for stepping down after 19 months in charge would not be revealed.

But the Tiverton Gazette reported Taylor as saying it was down to a "difference of opinion" and "clash of personalities" with chairman Andre Pike.Taylor has since taken over at Cullompton Rangers, rivals of Witheridge in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League.

The statement said: "Mike contacted club secretary Chris Cole (on Sunday afternoon) by telephone and said he was considering his position with the club.

"(In the) evening he texted Chris and resigned as manager with immediate effect. Mike gave his reasons for this to Chris and the club will not be disclosing those reasons.

"Witheridge Football Club would like to thank Mike for all his work while manager and before that assistant manager and wish him the best of luck for the future."

Taylor, a former goalkeeper, took charge in March 2011 when John Cornforth left to take up a job in Kuwait.

Witheridge lost just twice in his first 12 games in charge and finished 14th in the premier division.

They improved by one place last season and had enjoyed some positive results in the new campaign, helped by prolific strikers Steve Ebdy and Jordan Charran, including a penalty shoot-out win over Ilfracombe Town in the Devon St Luke's Cup.

Caretaker manager Vinnicombe was in charge at Edge Down Park from October 2008 to June 2010 when he left to take over at Tiverton Town.

On Tuesday, he saw a late goal defeat his side as they went down 2-1 to league leaders Launceston.

Both sides had a man sent off for violent conduct, with James Turner seeing red for Witheridge. They took the lead through Ebdy only for the visitors to make the most of an error at the back and equaliser shortly before half time. The winner came with three minutes to go.

Elburton cruised past Witheridge in Saturday's cup tie with goals from Jordan Trott, Lee Salmons, Ray Spear and Levi Landricombe.

Witheridge visit Falmouth Town on Saturday before a home game against Liverton United on Tuesday evening.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters