Login Register

Violent man attacked two of his partners in a matter of months

By North Devon Journal  |  Posted: November 08, 2012

VIOLENT: Timothy Hood.

A VIOLENT man who attacked two different women in the space of five months has been jailed.

Timothy Hood attacked his former partner Alison Mann in front of their children while she held a baby in her arms at a house in Hatherleigh.

Later he left his most recent girlfriend Jessica Hughes terrified for the safety of her unborn child after he squeezed her bulge during a violent attack.

Hood made a total of three different attacks on the two women, Exeter Crown Court heard.

He was already on a suspended sentence for an incident in which he threatened pub customers with a broken glass as they defended his girlfriend.

Hood, 40, was found guilty of battery on Miss Mann and admitted common assaults on Miss Hughes.

The first attack happened at his former home in High Street, Hatherleigh in April.

Alex Allsop, for the prosecution, said Miss Mann was separated from Hood at the time of the assault which happened when she went to pick up her three children from his home.

He said: "He pushed her and punched her, giving her a black eye. The children were crying and upset. He grabbed her by the hair when she had a child in her arms and pulled her on to a sofa.

"She eventually managed to get out of the front door with the children but thinks the whole incident took an hour.

"She made a statement to police in which she said 'I know one day he will end up killing me'."

The later assaults were on Miss Hughes in Okehampton.

In one he squeezed the back of her head and in the other he prodded her in the eye and pushed her in the stomach, despite knowing she was pregnant.

The second attack happened at a meeting which she had arranged to discuss his violence and try to save their relationship. He lost his temper, attacked her, and threatened her with a knife.

At the time he was subject to a suspended sentence for an affray at the Kings Arms in Okehampton.

Emily Pitts, for the defence, said Hood, now of Willow Tree Close, Okehampton, has a history of personal problems and has made at least one attempt at suicide.

She said at the time of the attacks he was on medication and he now wants to work with the probation service to address his offending behaviour.

He was jailed for six months for the assaults by Recorder Frank Abbot, who also activated eight months of the earlier suspended sentence for affray. He made restraining orders which ban Hood from contact with either victim when he is released.

Read more from North Devon Journal