Login Register

UPDATE: Man bailed following death in Barnstaple street

By NDJPhilippa  |  Posted: January 14, 2013

  • A police cordon near to the scene on Concorde Drive earlier this afternoon


A 45-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter following a death in Barnstaple has been released on bail.

Police confirmed man, who is local to the area, was arrested on Saturday before being questioned at Barnstaple Police Station.

He has since been released on bail and is due to attend Barnstaple Police Station at a date early in May.

The arrest is in connection with an incident in Concorde Drive, in the Gorwell area of the town.

It is believed a 53-year-old man, named locally as Brian Hill, collapsed outside his daughter's house in the cul-de-sac.

Police confirmed they were called to the scene by the ambulance service at 1.15pm.

Neighbours reported hearing screams and then saw a group of people standing around a man who was lying on the ground.

One neighbour Heather Castle said she had been haunted by the screams she heard.

She said: "I was sitting on my bed when I heard the screams from the road behind. I looked out of the window and saw a group of people.

"An ambulance car then arrived and they were trying to resuscitate him for ages, it didn't look good.

"I just feel terrible, I wanted to help, the screams echoed around, I feel haunted by it."

Another neighbour Katrina, who didn't want to give her surname, lives on Lundy Close. She was one of the people to call the ambulance.

She said: "I heard screams and went outside, I saw the group on the road up the slope but at first I thought it was a child who had been hurt.

"The people on the phone were asking me for his age so I was shouting up to them. They said he was 53 and he wasn't breathing.

"I don't know him but he was at his daughter's house."

"I heard some people say they had seen him fall and then collapse."

Another neighbour living on Gorwell Road, Roger Huxtable, said he hadn't heard anything but had seen the police and ambulance drive past.

Trudi Parsley, who was visiting her parents who live on Gorwell Road, said: "I had parked up on Concorde Drive and I saw a couple of police cars but by the time I wanted leave at 2.30pm they had cordoned it off and I can't get out now.

"I think it is pretty bad whatever it is.”

A post mortem examination was held at the weekend to establish the cause of death. The conclusions have not been released.

There were also reports of brown evidence bags being removed from the scene by police as well as a people carrier being towed away on a recovery vehicle.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident to call 101 quoting ref 350 12/1/13.

Keep checking www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk for updates.

If you have any more information about this incident please contact us on 07919210339.

Read more from North Devon Journal