Login Register

Torridgeside beat Hatherleigh Town to win the Torridge Cup

By NDJMark  |  Posted: May 02, 2013

Kyle Paine

Kyle Paine

Comments (0)

Torridgeside have won the Torridge Cup for the first time in their history.

The Torrington club fought back from a goal down to beat Hatherleigh Town 5-1 in tonight's final at Vicarage Field.

A bumper crowd believed to be in excess of 600 enjoyed an excellent clash between two sides committed to attacking football.

And despite trailing to an early strike from Rob Cockwill, Torridgeside turned it around before half time with goals from Marc Bettiss, Rob Holland and Kyle Paine.

Jamie Bright's cracking shot from the edge of the box put them 4-1 up and Paine capped a man-of-the-match performance, racing clear to add the fifth.

The team, managed by Barry Paine and Paul Hutchings, were good value for their victory although the scoreline was harsh on Hathlerleigh who started at a superb tempo.

Greg Mitchell swept a 20-yard shot just wide before the Devon and Exeter League side took the lead on nine minutes.

Luke Reynolds nipped in behind Neil Bettiss and when Dick Turner, the veteran goalkeeper, made a save  the ball fell invitingly for Cockwill to bury with a first-time shot.

Torridgeside almost equalised instantly as Holland sprinted clear only to see his attempted lob well held by Ryan Walter.

At that stage Hatherleigh were defending well against the long throws of Ian Cockwill and looking sharp at the other end with Reynolds and Dean Rice leading the line.

The front pair linked expertly when Rice whipped in a cross and Reynolds headed just wide.

It was a golden chance to double the advantage and one they would rue after being stunned by three goals in ten minutes. 

Marc Bettiss started the revival by scoring the equaliser with the type of poacher's finisher for which he is renowned.

Paine had created that goal and the winger then claimed the second himself following a brilliant move.

Holland fed Bettiss who played an early pass as Paine timed his run to perfection and beat Walter with a flick of the right boot.   

Suddenly Torridgeside –  and Paine in particular – were buzzing. He showed immaculate control and vision to set up the their third goal with a lob in first-half stoppage time. Walter did well to push the shot against the bar but Holland reacted first to dispatch the rebound.

And Paine started the second half in similar fashion, sending over a cross which Paddy Ions was unable to find the target with at the far post.

Torridgeside continued to press and the contest was all but over when Bright pounced on a loose ball to  smash home a low shot in the 62nd minute.

Fittingly, Paine had the final say, dashing clear from the right wing and sweeping the ball beyond Walter into the roof of the net.

The crowd – thought to be the largest at a Torridge Cup final for more than 20 years – showed their appreciation to both sides at the final whistle.

At times the pace was frantic but there was hardly a late tackle and Brett Huxtable, the referee, did not need to issue a single card. 

Both teams showed why they have been challenging for the title in their respective leagues this year.

For Torridgeside, thoughts now turn to a crucial game against Bradworthy in the North Devon League premier division on Saturday.

Hatherleigh, currently second in the Devon and Exeter premier, must lift themselves for a match with St Martins.


Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters