Login Register

Torridge District Council leader Philip Collins talks about the cuts being faced.

By North Devon Journal  |  Posted: October 03, 2013

Caption: Philip Collins.

Caption: Philip Collins.

Comments (0)

TORRIDGE District Council is also coming to terms with the cuts it is facing and deciding how best to save money in the future.

The leader of the council, Councillor Philip Collins, said: "Torridge faces significant cuts in funding, on top of earlier cuts which have seen us lose nearly 40 full time jobs.

"These government cuts appear to be ongoing into the future and we need to secure services as well as we can in such difficult financial times.

"We have identified plans for balancing a budget gap of nearly £1 million in 2014/15 and these will be considered by councillors shortly.

"We are also actively working on options for dealing with further reductions of nearly £1 million in 2015/16. We will manage any reductions with a view to limiting the disruption on the services we provide and the impact on the people we employ.

"However, this will not be easy and councillors will again have to make tough choices."

Mr Collins told the Journal last month Torridge was due to have its funding cut to £6 million over the next four years – a cut of £4 million since 2009.

He explained some of the ways the council hoped to save funds.

He said: "Everything is being looked at in terms of trying to save costs and the district offices are being investigated as an option, as are many other things.

"Extending electronic services is being looked at as an alternative."

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES