Login Register
 °

Torridge District Council drops opposition to plans for 132 homes in Westward Ho!

By NDJPeter  |  Posted: April 03, 2014

5737941-large

Members of the Buckleigh and Cornborough Road Residents' Association at the proposed development site

Comments (4)

PLANS for 132 new homes on the edge of Westward Ho! are set to be approved after Torridge District Council announced it would not contest the developer’s appeal.

The announcement was made on the first day of the appeal hearing on Tuesday.

If approved, the plans will see the construction of 132 homes, two shops and a sports area on land adjacent to Cornborough and Buckleigh roads.

Making his opening remarks, Peter Wadsley, who represented Torridge District Council, said the development could only be refused if “the disadvantages significantly and demonstratively outweigh the advantages”.

He said: “The members had to consider whether that quite high threshold could be reached.

“They came to the conclusion that it couldn’t be.

“In view of those circumstances it was decided that it wouldn’t be right to resist the appeal any further.”

The announcement follows the district council’s decision to refuse plans for a second identical application.

The change in stance was met with anger from many residents who packed the chamber for the hearing.

John Stockdale, who represented the Buckleigh and Cornborough Road Residents’ Committee during the meeting, said he was shocked by the decision.

“I was not aware that there was any resolution to overturn the decision,” he said.

“The council can’t simply turn up here today and say that they decided not to oppose this appeal.

“They are elected members and they chose to make that decision after due deliberation.

“But the planning committee was summoned before officers and the decision was made behind closed doors.

“You see nothing in the documents to say the wherefore behind this.”

Mr Stockdale also insisted there were substantial grounds to refuse the application.

However, Sasha White, who represented Wainhomes during the meeting, said the plans should have been approved on the first occasion.

He said: “The local planning authority has a significant problem.

“It doesn’t have enough housing to meet its five year land supply requirement.

“This is a proposal that should have been granted planning permission. Officers recommended consent on two occasions.

“But the local planning authority should be commended for having the courage to realise that the wrong decision had been taken.”

A site visit is due to take place this month, before the results of the appeal are published.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

4 comments

  • ArtfulDodger  |  April 03 2014, 1:58PM

    believe*

  • ArtfulDodger  |  April 03 2014, 10:56AM

    the field is owned I beleive by a well known local family who have a number of pubs and amusements in the area....the planning was always going to go through

  • Rockall2011  |  April 02 2014, 3:26PM

    This decision is pathetic, even by Torridge's standards. We have what is probably the worse Torridge planning committee of all time.

    |   3
  • Winton  |  April 02 2014, 3:06PM

    What a joke, what is the point in having a planning committee if that cant even stand by the decisions they make and not contest the appeal, absolutely ridiculous!! I am not against new houses being built however the plans submitted are in no way in keeping with the area, if a must how about 32 properties instead of 132 although none would be better for the wildlife and area as well as devaluing properties around. Buckleigh Road is so dangerous as it stands and really cannot handle anymore traffic. Very disappointing!

    |   3

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES