Login Register

Section 106 funds released for Combe Martin parade

By North Devon Journal  |  Posted: December 13, 2012

By FRANCESCA TAFFS

Comments (0)

A FURTHER £13,000 of funding has been released for works on Combe Martin's parade.

North Devon Council's Executive agreed at a meeting on Tuesday to release £13,007 of Section 106 funds in addition to the £20,000 already released in 2010.

Combe Martin Parish Council had been discussing three options with regard to the parade over the past two years.

It was finally decided at an extraordinary meeting last month that part of Newberry Parade would be demolished.

In addition to demolishing the walkways and arches, the old museum is to be externally redecorated and tarmac laid on the lower walkway.

The total cost of the project is around £63,000, which will be partially funded by the £33,000 worth of Section 106 funds. A further £12,465 has been earmarked by the parish council to go towards the project, leaving a shortfall of around £17,000.

Lucy Tomlinson, Project and Procurement Officer at North Devon Council, prepared a report which was presented to the executive detailing the history behind the closure of the parade.

Speaking at the meeting she said: "£20,000 was released two years ago but the council have not drawn that funding yet as they been looking at three options.

"They have now chosen a scaled back scheme to make it more viable and have just come back to request the final £13,000 to move forward with the scheme."

The £13,007.35 of Section 106 money has been drawn from three planning developments that have been undertaken in Combe Martin since 2006.

Newberry Parade was closed in 2008 due to health and safety concerns.

The issue of what to do with the parade has since been a subject of considerable debate and works to re-open the parade have been earmarked by the parish council as a priority.

It is hoped reopening the parade will improve recreation facilities, encourage more business into the area, enhance the local landscape and wildlife and improve tourism facilities.

Miss Tomlinson's report to the executive also stated the parish council expected the works to the parade to be completed by April 2013.

Combe Martin parish and district councillor, Yvette Gubb, said at the meeting that it was important to get the project up and running as soon as possible.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES