Keep calm and carry on was the name of the game after a Western Morning News reader accidentally knocked a swallows’ nest off the wall when he opened his garage door.
He replaced the nest with an old sieve and two four-inch nails and the swallow family thrived in their new home.
It was at a house near Crediton where the near-disaster struck.
A couple coming home after their holiday did not know a pair of swallows had built a nest in the garage. The problem was that when the garage door was opened the nest and chicks fell to the ground.
Luckily the chicks were well covered with feathers so they probably fluttered to the ground, but they were not ready to leave the nest just yet.
A new building plan was launched and an old rusty sieve was found in the shed which, when nailed to the wall, was simply perfect and the parent birds hardly knew the difference and the chicks eventually fledged none-the-worse for their experience.