A chimney caught alight on the outskirts of Barnstaple after a bird’s nest had not been entirely removed.
The blaze broke out at The Barton in Lower Loxhore at 10.35am yesterday.
A crew from Barnstaple were called to the scene but the fire was already out by the time they arrived.
They discovered the property’s owner had cleared a bird’s nest from the top of the chimney but a few twigs had remained which had then caught fire.
The fire crew checked the property’s alarms and gave the owner some advice before leaving.