Login Register

Plans made to protect Braunton from future floods

By North Devon Journal  |  Posted: December 26, 2013

Comments (0)

WORK to reduce Braunton's flood risk continues.

Simon Tattersall, who has been working alongside river warden Ben Byrom, said positive steps had been taken since last year's floods.

Measures include the £100,000 upgrade to the village's flood defence scheme and the recent launch of a new study to identify and reduce the flood risk.

He said: "I think to me the single most promising aspect this year is Devon County Council's decision to launch this survey.

"Something drastic needs to be done and we have a hope we are going to be able to come up with some sort of solution.

"Nobody is under any illusions of the difficulties involved but it's promising in the sense that Devon County Council is taking notice."

He said: "People are much more aware of the problem because although Braunton has been flooded regularly, last year was something the village hasn't seen in a long time.

"People need to become a lot more proactive, and they have. That's what we need."

In addition to installing personal flood defences, Simon urged people to get involved by reporting any flood hazards, such as blocked drains, and to get involved in any flood protection events, including a sandbagging tutoring evening due to be held early next year.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR