Login Register

Morchard Bishop claim derby honours with Thorverton win

By Mid Devon Gazette  |  Posted: January 29, 2013

Comments (0)

MORCHARD Bishop won the Mid Devon derby as they beat Thorverton 3-0 in the Premier Division.

Unlike the previous week, all three top-flight Mid Devon teams were in Devon & Exeter League action.

And it was a big victory for Morchard as they cling to the coat-tails of the leading clubs. Manager Steve Rice is encouraged by the positive attitude from his players, and feels that they can still feature in the race.

Recent recruit Steve Morrish played a major role in the Thors' downfall. John Bradford (2) and Kenny Ord were Morchard's scorers, but Thorverton can also take heart from a battling effort.

Willand Rovers lost 5-2 at Beer Albion and Rovers manager Rob Buxton felt very let down.

The visitors led twice through Dan Booth and Lloyd Beech and, leading 2-1 in the second half, were on top. However, once Beer levelled again Willand fell apart.

Buxton hopes his team will take note of Beer's team spirit when they were behind.

Willand face Morchard Bishop at Silver Street this weekend, while Thorverton have a big chance to put distance between themselves and relegation rivals Budleigh Salterton when they clash at Raddon Road.

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Feniton are back as leaders after their 3-1 victory over Heavitree Social United but Seaton Town now appear to be out of the title race after they lost 4-2 at home to the University.

Alphington were delighted with a 2-2 draw at East Budleigh in the only Division One game to beat the weather.

The Alphas were 2-1 ahead but, having had a man sent off, were still pleased to earn a vital point. Josh Hole, 16, scored both Alphington goals. Si Tuley netted a penalty and Kevin Hill also scored for Budleigh.

Bow AAC were left fuming after referee Martin Stephens refused to start their game against Culm United. Both teams were ready and happy to play, but the official felt the pitch was unplayable in places and was not prepared to go ahead.

The Eagles from Elmore flew six points clear in Division Two after a 4-1 victory at pointless Chagford.

Callum Old (2), Kevin Mills and Gavin Batten scored for Elmore, with Adam Pidgeon on target for Chagford.

Lympstone soared into fourth place in Division Three after their 5-2 win against Offwell Rangers.

Both Jeff Dorman and substitute Aiden Figures scored twice, with Andy Lowe completing the scoring.

The University won 2-0 against bottom-of-the-table Sandford in the other game played.

Newtown shot a big hole in Chulmleigh's promotion ambitions when they beat their Division Four visitors 2-1. Adam Smith and Corey O'Donoghue scored for Newtown.

Third-placed Exeter University beat second-from-top Axminster Town 3-2 with goals from Stefano Falsini, Ali Cullen and Connor Hamill. Aly Barter starred for the Students.Exmouth Town won 3-2 at the Lord's XI who, after being 3-0 down, made a gallant bid to save a point with a Julian Wills penalty and an Andy Empson goal.

Okehampton and Exmouth Amateurs drew 3-3, with John Coakly, Brad Ausden and Sam Ewen scoring for the Okes.

All five Division Five games were postponed because of the weather, and only one match was played in each of the lower divisions.

Topsham won 2-0 at Dawlish United, who drop out of the top three in Division Six, but Fluxton opened a three-point cushion in Division Seven after their 5-2 win against Starcross Generals. A hat-trick from Richard Rapps and an Alex Paget brace did the job for Fluxton. That was after Alex and brother Oliver Paget spent six hours marking out a new pitch and moving the goalposts on Saturday to prepare for the game.

Newtown are the proud new leaders of Division Eight after beating Alphington 6-1. Adam Summers, with a hat-trick, Chris Bushell, Guy Privett and Adam Boulter were the Newtown marksmen.

Sampford Peverell's hopes of reaching the area final of the Devon Intermediate Cup were blown away by a 7-1 defeat at home against holders Millwey Rise. Richie Durrant notched the only Sampford goal.

Topsham beat Morchard Bishop 4-2 in the Football Express Cup with Aaron Street getting a couple of goals. Marc Frost and Phil Greenslade scored for Morchard.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters