Do you want to know what the most read stories on ThisisNorthDevon were in 2012?
Well, look no further. Below, we’ve listed the top 10 news stories viewed on the website over the last year.
1. The most read story of the year was the news of two people being killed in a crash at Loxhore Cross near Barnstaple . Emma Kift, 21, and Jonny Popple, 23, died following the early hours crash on June 1.
2. The second most read story on ThisisNorthDevon was also news of a fatal crash. Daniel Bird, 33, died after coming off his motorbike on the A361 near Braunton on June 26.
3. The third most ready story on the website this year was the sad news of Ben Foulds’ death . Ben, 20, who had recently moved away from North Devon after recovering from a serious cycling accident which left him paraplegic, died unexpectedly at home in October.
4. Flooding was big news on the website for much of the year. The summer floods were particularly well viewed, with this news about Devon being put on ‘red alert’ by the Met Office coming in as the fourth best read story of 2012.
5. An escaped emu which roamed the streets of Barnstaple last month was the fifth most-viewed story on the website this year. Betty the emu escaped from a house in Pilton and was found wandering the streets on November 28. Police officers battled to get the 4ft bird into the back of the police car. The pet was later reunited with its owners.
6. Damien Hirst’s controversial Verity statue was erected on Ilfracombe Pier this year. Live coverage of the event was shown on ThisisNorthDevon and was viewed by thousands. The controversial 22-metre sculpture of a naked, pregnant, sword-wielding woman was raised on October 16 in front of a large crowd.
7. The news that a body had been found in a picnic area near a lay-by on the A39 between Bideford and Barnstaple was the seventh most-viewed story of 2012 on ThisisNorthDevon. The man, in his sixties and from the Holsworthy area, died following a ‘medical episode’ on June 7.
8. Heavy rain and more flooding hit North Devon in November. This egularly updated article listing all the road closures, rail disruptions and latest weather warnings and flood alertsr received thousands of views and was the eighth most-viewed news story in 2012.
9. The news of a serious crash near South Molton in October was the ninth most-read story on the website this year. Martyn Windsor and Paul Bovey died after their convertible veered off a rural road between North Molton and South Molton and plummeted 15ft into the swollen River Mole in October.
10. Coverage of looding in Clovelly, complete with photos and videosf, was the tenth most-viewed piece of content on the website this year. Muddy brown water surged through the village on October 11 due to a burst bank.
What was your favourite story on ThisisNorthDevon in 2012? Let us know by commenting in the box below.