Login Register

'Almost definitely' no need for hosepipe ban

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: May 03, 2013

Comments (1)

THE company that manages the West Country's water has confirmed there will almost definitely be no restrictions on the taps this summer.

South West Water said hosepipe bans and other restrictions were unlikely after the third wettest year on record in the region.

The Exeter-based company declared itself ready to cope with no water restrictions expected for the 17th consecutive year.

Neil Whiter, head of water resources, said: "We have not needed to introduce restrictions since 1996 and we fully expect to continue that record through 2013."

The total storage now stands at 95.6 per cent in the region's 21 reservoirs – with six completely full – compared to 84.4 per cent at this time last year. Ground water sources which supply most of East Devon are said to be at an all-time high.

Two converted china clay pits on Bodmin Moor – Park and Stannon Lakes – are now the South West's fourth and fifth biggest reservoirs.

Since the infamous 1976 drought, regional storage capacity has been quadrupled and dozens of connecting pipes have made it easier to move water around the 10,000-mile-long main network.

Mr Whiter said: "In days gone by it was not uncommon for householders to have to put up with restrictions, and our research shows some customers assume there are restrictions elsewhere in the region even when we are in a better position than other regions."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Stork  |  May 03 2013, 5:19PM

    No hosepipe ban ! I should think so. We've only had about one or two days of sunshine. The rest of this year has been rain and snow !

    Rate 0
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES

       
       
       

      MOST POPULAR