A FORMER teacher died following exposure to asbestos while he was working at a Bideford school.
Christopher Charlton, 62, worked at Grenville College in Belvoir Road between 1980 and 2008. He was diagnosed with a malignant tumour in December 2011 for which there was no treatment.
An inquest heard he was exposed to asbestos contained in book cupboards and a store room at the college.
Melanie Osborne, an oncologist at North Devon Hospital, said in a report Mr Charlton died on February 24 from a pleural mesothelioma caused by exposure to asbestos.
In a statement from Mr Charlton before his death, he said: "The only place I know I came across asbestos was at Grenville College."
The statement said Mr Charlton had a teaching room at the college with a store room. A notice was put on in it in 2002 saying an asbestos survey had been made and it was not to be used. Mr Charlton was unaware of any work being done to remove the asbestos.
The statement said: "We spent a couple of weeks sorting out the cupboards. We dusted down the store room and thoroughly cleaned it out."
Coroner Dr Elizabeth Earland concluded Mr Charlton died of industrial disease: "I am satisfied he was exposed to asbestos and that caused the illness which killed him."