Login Register

Fremington power past Park in cup tie

By North Devon Journal  |  Posted: November 15, 2012

AERIAL CLASH: Fremington's Shaun Ley (left) goes in for a header against Park United. Picture: Mike Southon. To order this photograph call 0844 4060 269 and quote Ref: BNMS2012111B-014_C

Comments (0)

Fremington 5 Park United 1: Fremington moved into the semi-finals of the Combe Martin Cup with a powerful performance to punish Park United.

A hat-trick from Mark Sanders, the veteran striker, and two goals from Andy King set up a meeting with Torrington in the last four.

After making a strong start, United fell behind when King was brought down by Rob Ousley and Sanders smashed in the resulting penalty.

With Simon Larcombe a constant threat on the right wing, Fremmy doubled their lead with a sharp turn and finish from King.

Steve Skinner then powered a header past Jamie Pow to put Park back in contention before half time.

But the senior division leaders raised the tempo after the break and Park were grateful to goalkeeper James Greenleaf for limiting the damage.

Sanders made it 3-1, King cracked the fourth from the edge of the box and Sanders capped a comprehensive victory with his 11th goal of the season.

After questioning the desire of his team before the game, manager John Thompson was delighted with the response.

"It's probably the best we have played this season," he said.

"We played some really nice stuff at times and got stuck in when we needed to."

Fremington: Jamie Pow, Andy Sanders, Josh Phillips, Shaun Ley, Simon Larcombe, Kriss Boreham, Matt Ford, Ryan Crompton, Josh Hooper, Andy King, Mark Sanders. Subs: Dean Wall, Darren Vaughan.

Park United: James Greenleaf, Darren Polhill, Dave Brown, Kevin Buck, Mark Hill, Mark Pooley, Martin Edwards, Matt Lewis, Rob Ousley, Stephen Flood, Steve Skinner. Subs: Mark Lee, Matt Lamont, Marc Austin.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters