Login Register

Ferry calls in at Ilfracombe harbour

By This is Exeter  |  Posted: January 29, 2010

IlfFerry

John Brown, chairman of the Ilfracombe and District Tourism Association, captured the first visit into Ilfracombe Harbour by the new Severn Link ferry

Comments (0)

ILFRACOMBE got its first glimpse of the new ferry, complete with its new Severn Link livery on Thursday.

The ferry, which left Portsmouth earlier in the week, made its way around the coast, stopping at Dartmouth and Falmouth along the way.

Severn Link's Marine Director Eddie Neylon who originally hails from Bideford, told the

Journal

that while the ferry was unable to stop or land at Ilfracombe as yet, the crew were able to bring her into the harbour and "do a few circus tricks" before heading off to Swansea.

He said: "We've been doing some sea trials along the way and she's a lovely lady. We're very excited about her."

See the

Journal

this Thursday for the full story.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Derek Gawn, Ireland  |  June 13 2010, 9:48PM

    Thanks B Williams. Yes, might be a little awkward for them at the moment?

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Forever disheartened, Ilfracombe  |  June 13 2010, 5:57PM

    rom what I understand Mr Murrell there were a lot of people WHO DID NOT enjoy a trip from Ilfracombe on the Waverley today, Sunday so I hope you enjoyed yours. Still not to worry the town was buzzing with people enjoying all that Victorian week is offering!

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    B. Williams, South Wales  |  June 13 2010, 11:24AM

    Mr. Gawn. I'm still awaiting a reply from my Welsh Assembly Member, Jane Davidson, who is the Welsh Assembly Minister for the Environment, Sustainability, and Housing. So I would expect a reply soon, even though this might be a tricky time for some people in the Welsh Assembly. Will keep you all posted.

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Derek Gawn, Ireland  |  June 12 2010, 7:24PM

    Mr Murrell, do we know for sure the Welsh Assembly have finally seen sense & withdrawn from backing this crackpot scheme? Enjoy your trip on the Waverley!

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Patrick Murrell, Clevedon, North Somerset  |  June 12 2010, 11:14AM

    Clearly, Mr. Gawn, Mr. Marrow is a dreamer, but even he cannot defeat the 40 ft. tides of the Bristol Channel with two lightly-built Aluminium boxes. I shall go to Lundy on the magnificent Waverley tomorrow, and drink to the fact that the MCA and the Welsh Assembly Government have seen sense in not permitting this crazy scheme to go ahead.I suspect that we will now hear very little more of Mr. Marrow or the whole idea!

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Derek Gawn, Ireland  |  June 11 2010, 11:32PM

    I see today on the S Wales site Mr Marrow has finally come out of hiding & taken some of the blame. Plus he has a new set of excuses. Also he tells us that 20% of tourists will use his service. WHAT A DREAMER!!!

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Patrick Murrell, Clevedon, North Somerset  |  June 10 2010, 5:57PM

    Readers might be interested to read today's item on the South Wales Evening Post (a sister-paper of the Journal) web-site. It does answer several questions about Severn Link which are somewhat revealing! It is not a Company that I would invest in!

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    jon davies, Gwent  |  June 10 2010, 1:18PM

    The proposed berth in Swansea is just upriver from the Ferryport.It dries out and is only accessible a couple of hours either side of high water.Who's going to pay for the dredging of the berth and it's approaches?

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Patrick Murrell, Clevedon, North Somerset  |  June 10 2010, 10:24AM

    Well, well, well!!! Severn Link have done a very clever public relations in job in telling us that the service is abandoned this year due to lack of suitable berthing in Swansea; what they have OMITTED to say is that the crasft will be just as unsuitable in 2011 as they were this year! So its goodbye this year, and we may see all our readers next year for phase 2 of the saga!

  • Profile image for This is Exeter
    Derek Gawn, Ireland  |  June 09 2010, 11:13PM

    Readers may be amused to look on the Ilfracombe Town Council site's forum - under the "Discussion"/ "Ferry" thread - where a contribution from a COUNCILLOR tells us that Waverley & Balmoral are still operated by P&A Campbell. I give up!! Campbell's went out of business some 30 years ago. WAKE UP MR COUNCILLOR!!!!!!!

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES