WORKERS at a Bideford factory were evacuated this afternoon following a potassium cyanide leak.
Alarms went off at the Tyco Electronics site at Gammaton Road just after 12.30pm.
Firefighters in gas tight suits are at the scene and all surrounding properties have been advised to keep their windows and doors shut.
A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "The leak was reported at 12.34pm and the firm shut down three machines.
"The premises were evacuated but not the surrounding properties."
The top half of Gammaton Road near Chubb Road was closed and police were on standby as there were initially fears that the potentially poisonous gas was airborne and could affect some 30 houses backing on to the factory site.
However, police said no one was in immediate danger and nearby properties were just advised to keep their windows and doors shut.
The fire service hoped to be able to leave the scene later on this afternoon.