Login Register

Desperate Barnstaple man given restraining order after harassing wife with hundreds of text messages

By NDJWill  |  Posted: April 16, 2013

BNPD20130412A-008_C

Anthony Smith arriving at North Devon Magistrates' Court on Friday

AN ESTRANGED husband desperate to win back his wife has been given a restraining order after being convicted at trial.

North Devon Magistrates’ Court heard Anthony Smith, 44, of Lethaby Road, Barnstaple, continued to make contact with his wife after they split up and he was handed a harassment warning.

Sonia Croft, for the prosecution, said Smith made unannounced visits to his wife’s home and sent her hundreds of text messages.

Tim Hook, for the defence, said his client had been trying to reconcile his relationship with his wife in exactly the same way he had done before.

He said: “In August 2011 the couple re-stated their vows. They had split, he contacted her, they reconciled and effectively remarried.”

So when they split up again Smith again pursued the same course of action.

On October 12 last year, said Mr Hook, Smith’s wife told him she didn’t know whether she loved him or not.

But then on November 15 she told him she was seeing someone else and just ten days later he was arrested on suspicion of harassment – accused of having harassed his wife over a six month period.

Smith broke down in tears as magistrates’ deliberated.

Sentencing him to a conditional discharge magistrate Robin Hagley said: “We have given considerable thought to your sentence.

“One issue is the contact hasn’t been violent and we realise the difficulties you had.”

Smith, who was convicted at a trial on March 18, was also ordered to pay £250 costs.

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR