Login Register

Busy week for Devon’s air ambulances in North Devon

By e_glanfield  |  Posted: April 11, 2013

Comments (0)

Both of Devon’s air ambulances have been busy in North Devon recently.

Following a busy Easter weekend, the crews were called back into action last Thursday when a man suffered a cardiac arrest in Filleigh.

The North Devon air ambulance, based at Eaglescott Airfield, rushed to the scene at 12.53pm and took the man to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital for treatment.

The following day, the crew received a number of call-outs.

Related content

The first came at 10.39am when an elderly woman suffered a “medical emergency” in Northam. The North Devon air ambulance attended and collected the woman before flying her to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford).

A couple of hours later at 12.58pm, the Exeter aircraft, which is based at Middlemoor, was called to Knowstone.

A man was suffering from chest pain and shortness of breath and was flown to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.

At around the same time, the North Devon air ambulance was called into action in Woolacombe. A lady was suffering from chest pains and was collected by the air ambulance crew at around 1.15pm before being flown to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.

And later in the afternoon, a woman suffering from chest pains had to be collected from Dulverton.

The Exeter-based aircraft was tasked to the rescue at 4.50pm and flew the woman to Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton.

The North Devon air ambulance was back in action on Saturday.

At 9.08am, it was called to a farm in Bittadon, near Muddiford, after a man shot himself in the foot with a gun.

Paramedics provided treatment at the scene before flying him to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital where he received surgery for his injuries. He is expected to make a full recovery.

It was another busy day for the air ambulance on Monday.

The crew were scrambled at 8.27am to transfer a man suffering heart problems from North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple to a specialist cardiac unit in Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.

Later in the morning, the crew were called to Bude after receiving reports of a man with a head injury.

The air ambulance landed at around 10.15am and collected the casualty, who had been injured when gas cylinders fell on his head.

He was flown to North Devon District Hospital for treatment.

On Tuesday, the crews were busy again with two serious road traffic collisions.

The North Devon-based air ambulance was called to the B3230 near Muddiford at around 8.45am after a three-vehicle collision forced one car off the road and into a hollow ditch.

Two men, believed to be in their twenties, were left trapped in the vehicle. They were released by fire crews before being flown to North Devon District Hospital by air ambulance.

Later in the morning, the Exeter-based helicopter was called to the A386 at Folly Gate following a two-vehicle collision.

An elderly couple were airlifted to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital with serious injuries following the crash at around 10.55am.

The woman remains in a life-threatening but stable condition in hospital while the man has serious but non-life threatening injuries.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters