A man who was involved in an car crash the night before his baby was born has been disqualified from driving for three years.
Scott Challenger, 45, of Laburnum Drive, Barnstaple, was breathalysed by police having collided and crashed with another car on the A39 on September 1.
The breath test showed Challenger had 65 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.
Challenger pleaded guilty to being over the drink drive limit when he appeared before North Devon Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Zara Svensson, for the defence said the outcome of drink driving would be catastrophic for the defendant and his family.
She said: “My client had collided with another car that was driving carelessly and his has not been charged with anything else other than drink driving. The accident was not his fault.
“He had a new baby born the day after and the consequences of this will be catastrophic for his family.
“He is a construction manager, which is a trade he has been in for 25 years, but his employer has told him he will lose his job because of the disqualification he knows he will get.
“The reason he was on the road was because he had to get a new gas bottle and he had been out for lunch with a friend earlier in the day and had three pints which had stayed in his system.”
Magistrates disqualified Challenger for driving for three years because he had been disqualified previously in 2004 which is within the ten year period.
The defendant was fined and told to pay a victim surcharge and court costs which amounted to a total of £387.