Login Register

Barnstaple Town too strong for lowly Keynsham

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: September 30, 2013

Billy Tucker

Comments (0)

BARNSTAPLE TOWN warmed up for tomorrow's Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup tie at home to Buckland Athletic with a 6-1 win at Western League First Division strugglers Keynsham Town.

Billy Tucker (three), Ryan Turner (two) and Jed Harper-Penman scored for second-placed Barnstaple.

Ross Middleton's Ilfracombe Town belied their lowly Premier Division position by taking the lead in a 1-1 draw with joint-leaders Larkhall Athletic thanks to Stan Paxton's fifth goal in five matches.

Willand Rovers – who host joint-leaders Gillingham Town on Wednesday – drew 1-1 at Odd Down thanks to striker Dean Stamp's fifth goal in three games.

With Bodmin Town's visit to Elmore falling to a waterlogged pitch at Horsdon Park, the South West Peninsula League's Premier Division was reduced to four fixtures.

St Austell travelled to Bolitho Park aware that victory would have moved them level with leaders Ivybridge Town but, despite a very good performance, they found themselves travelling home to Poltair Park empty-handed after Plymouth Parkway maintained their 100 per cent league record with a 3-1 victory.

"A very pleasing result as St Austell made if very hard for us," confirmed Parkway manager Wayne Hillson after the final whistle. Levi Landricombe gave Parkway a 28th-minute lead, which midfielder Danny Lewis had doubled before the break before notching his second of the game early in the second half.

St Austell started the second period well and Chris Reski hit the home crossbar before they deservedly pulled a goal back when Danny Carne's mazy run set up player-manager Dan Nancarrow to score.

The game had a hectic finish, with Landricombe collecting his second yellow card before Will Stringer's penalty kick crashed back off the visitors' crossbar.

Launceston moved up to third spot as they ended Saltash United's four-match unbeaten run with a 1-0 success at Pennygillam.

The all-important goal came on the hour after Sam Scott's superb cross found Sam Davey shooting past goalkeeper Lee Carew from eight yards.

Tavistock's mini-revival of two consecutive victories was ended at Blaise Park, where St Blazey beat them 4-2. "We went into the game on the back of some good performances, but we paid the price for a particularly poor first half in which too many lads were below par," revealed Tavistock manager Ian Southcott.

Danny Zalick scored twice for St Blazey, his first from the penalty spot, with Lewis Prince and Paddy West completing their scoring. The Lambs replied with efforts from Jarryd Kelly and Lee Blatchford.

A depleted Camelford side lost 3-1 at home to Witheridge, who had Jack Langford, Steve Ebdy and Jordan Charran on target. Ryan Pooley replied for the Camels.

Division One East side Budleigh Salterton had the result of the Throgmorton Cup first round as goals from Karl Everest and Hugo Demetre saw them win 2-0 at high-riding Premier Division side Exmouth Town.

Liskeard Athletic overcame their potentially tricky home tie against Okehampton Argyle by winning 6-2, which was their first victory of the season.

Liverton United also had their first success of the season, but they required extra-time to beat Plymstock United 2-1 at Halford just a week after suffering a 23-0 defeat at Stoke Gabriel.

Wadebridge Town came with four minutes of claiming a Premier Division scalp as they led by a Nick Dowling goal at Torpoint Athletic, but the Tamarsiders scored twice, through a Danny Brook penalty and Lewis Pace's 20 yard effort, to win 2-1.

Cullompton Rangers won 2-1 at Sidmouth Town thanks to goals from Ashley Donohue and Matt Fansom, while two goals from substitute Andy Parker, plus Jordan Walton's late effort, saw Ivybridge Town win 3-1 at Perranporth.

Read more from North Devon Journal

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters