Workers at a Devon creamery suffered breathing difficulties after a noxious gas escaped inside the factory. Police and six fire crews were called to the Ambrosia Creamery, at Lifton, after a reported leak of nitric acid. Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Paul Slaven said casualties were being dealt with in decontamination units. Police closed a road to prevent motorists from going too close to the plant, which produces custard and rice pudding, but they said no-one had been seriously hurt. At 1.30pm police were asked to attend the "chemical leak" at the factory. The spillage of nitric acid left five staff members needing help with decontamination. The six fire crews came from Launceston, Tavistock, Okehampton and Hatherleigh. A police spokesman said: "We believe some chemicals have been spilt with the potential to cause breathing problems." He added that there was no threat to the general public. Milk is delivered fresh to the creamery every day to be made into canned desserts, including custard and rice pudding.The plant was founded in 1917, by local man Albert Morris, and has featured in advertising campaigns for decades.