Stella Levy, co-owner of Barnstaple’s White Moose gallery, tells us about her life in 20 Questions.
1. Childhood Hero: My dad. A good, modest, hard working man with a keen sense of community, social awareness and political passion.
2. Hobbies: Walking my greyhound, Mason, history, art, photography, film, theatre, wildlife and the countryside.
3. Favourite music: Includes the blues, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Chris Farlowe, The Killers, KD Lang, John Lennon with Yoko Ono and the list could go on.
4. Favourite book: Paddy Clarke, Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle.
5. Favourite film: Lots to choose from including old black and white films, Some Like it Hot, Spaghetti Westerns with Clint Eastwood, but also Don’t Look Now and Apocalypse Now have left lasting impressions.
6. Favourite TV programme: Homeland.
7. Favourite restaurant: Depends on my mood, might be a good fish and chips at the Bell, Chittlehampton or perhaps the bar lunches at Barnstaple’s Imperial Hotel.
8. First job: When I was 15 I joined the window display team at Hanningtons, a Brighton department store.
9. I’m very good at: Communication, organising art events and mentoring artists.
10. I’m very bad at: Getting down to doing my financial paperwork.
11. A phrase I use too often: I can’t think of anything, but I’m sure others would be well able to answer this.
12. Three people (alive or dead) I’d invite for dinner: Picasso, George Melly, and Damien Hirst.
13. Other than my other half, I’d like to be stranded on a desert island with: No one else, they would get on my nerves after a while.
14. I’m embarrassed by: Bad manners.
15. Proudest moment: Launching White Moose with my friend Julie.
16. Best things about North Devon: Its remoteness.
17. Worst things about North Devon: The alarming spread of the wind and solar industry.
18. What of our country’s laws would you change: Make dentistry accessible on the NHS; give more weight to people’s concerns over development in the countryside.
19. Overrated public figure: Hard to think of just one as there are so many.
20. In another life I would like to be: Perhaps I’d give archaeology a try.